The purpose of the Minnesota Breeders’ Fund is to encourage the breeding and racing of quality horses. Stallion awards promote the introduction of high quality studs standing for the breeding season in Minnesota.
Breeder Fund Payment Policy
All breeders and or stallion owners must obtain a vendor number from the State of Minnesota.
If your registration form lists a stable name / business, that stable name/ business must have a Minnesota State vendor number to receive award payments.
If there are multiple owners/breeders listed, the breeder listed first will receive the award payments and is responsible for distribution of awards to partners/other owners.
You can find a link to register for a vendor number near the bottom of this page (New To Breeders Fund) If you have any further questions please contact the Minnesota Racing Commission.
Dates to Remember
- Standardbred Foal Registrations are due no later than December 31 of the foaling year.
- Thoroughbred/Quarter Horse Foal Registrations are due within 30 days of the date a horse is foaled in Minnesota
- ALL Stallion Registrations are due no later than January 31 of the current breeding year.
- Thoroughbred Broodmare Registrations are due on or before March 15 of the year in which the mare will foal.
- Quarter Horse Broodmare Registrations are due on or before January 31 of the year in which the mare will foal.
NEW TO BREEDERS FUND?
Get your Vendor Number.
If you own a Registered Minnesota Bred horse or eligible Stallion/Mare you are eligible for payments from the breeder’s fund. To claim these funds you MUST be registered as a vendor with the State of Minnesota before a check can be paid to you.