NOTICE OF CLENBUTEROL RULE CHANGE IN QUARTER HORSES
On Thursday, April 20th, the Association of Racing Commissioners International (ARCI) voted to amend the model rules for the bronchodilator Clenbuterol to make it a prohibited substance in Quarter horse racing. The rule change also includes Thoroughbreds competing in a mixed race against Quarter horses.
The ARCI Schedule of Controlled Substances for Clenbuterol was subsequently amended to show a “limit of detection” threshold in serum, plasma, or urine with no applicable withdrawal guidelines. MRC Rule 7890.0100, subpart 12a defines the Limit of Detection (LOD) as the lowest concentration of the drug that can be detected by a particular laboratory method. Industrial Laboratory, the 2017 MRC contract laboratory, has been instructed to use the limit of detection for all Quarter horse and mixed races.
Minnesota Racing Commission (MRC) rule 7890.0110, subpart 10 states that serum or urine thresholds found in the ARCI Schedule of Controlled Therapeutic Substances are adopted by reference. This means that the change in Clenbuterol becomes effective upon publication by the ARCI and MRC. We expect publication next week.
Horsemen and women are advised to stop using Clenbuterol immediately.
Track Entrance Requirements
2017 CANTERBURY PARK ADMISSION POLICY
Equine herpes virus (EHV-1) has become a health issue in several racetracks and training centers throughout the United States with horses showing signs of and/or dying from the neurological form of the disease. In order to safeguard the horses arriving and stabling at Canterbury Park the following policies are in place.
- All horses (including pony horses) entering the grounds for the first time must be accompanied by an original Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (health certificate) issued within ten (10) days of their arrival and a negative Coggins Test Certificate issued within 12 months of arrival. Temperatures for each horse should be included on the health certificate. For those trainers shipping in and out, health certificates will be valid for thirty (30) days once the Commission Veterinarian’s office has been notified and paperwork processed.
- Every horse entering the enclosure of the racetrack must have been vaccinated by a veterinarian with an FDA approved modified live or killed virus vaccine specific for EHV-1 not less than 14 days and not more than 4 months prior to date of entry. The specific vaccination and vaccination date must appear on the health certificate.
- Repeated vaccinations are not currently required after the horse has first entered the grounds.
- Quarter horses entering the stable area with a health certificate originating from Texas or New Mexico must have been tested for Theileria equi and Babesia caballi within the previous 12 months prior to the date or arrival. The test results must identify each horse by name and tattoo and be noted on the health certificate or attached to the health certificate.
2017 RUNNING ACES CASINO & RACETRACK ADMISSIONS POLICY
Vaccines: All horses must have been vaccinated for Equine Viral Rhinopneumonitis (EHV-1 or herpes virus) no less than 14 days and within the prior 6 months and the specific product used, and vaccine date present on the health certificate. Vaccinations for influenza and Streptococcus equi (Strangles) are recommended.
Health Certificates: All horses entering the grounds for the first time must be accompanied by a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (health certificate) issued within ten (10) days of their arrival and a negative Coggins Test Certificate issued within 12 months of arrival. Temperatures for each horse should be included on the health certificate. For those trainers shipping in and out, health certificates will be valid for thirty (30) days once the Commission Veterinarian’s office has been notified and paperwork processed.
Piroplasmosis: Quarter Horses with a health certificate originating from a state with recorded, active cases of Equine Piroplasmosis (EP) must also have a negative test for Babesia (Theileria) equi and Babesia caballitaken within the previous 12 months. Currently this includes Texas and New Mexico but is subject to change.
2018 Trainer’s Manuals
- Canterbury Park
- Running Aces
Office Phone: 952-496-6474
- Dave Hooper (Chief) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dave Smith – email@example.com
- Jennifer Durenberger – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canterbury Park: Robert Junk – 952-496-6470
- Running Aces: Nancy Byrge – 651-925-4532
Running Aces Judges
Office Phone: 651-925-3943
- Renee Sheward (Presiding) – email@example.com
- Eric Beach – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mickey Peterson – email@example.com
- Canterbury Park: Tiffany Leggett: 952-496-6407
- Running Aces: Maureen Hanson: 651-925-4585
Health Certificate Information
- 30 Day Health Certificates – Running Aces
- 30 Day Health Certificates – Canterbury Park
Things to Know
- Qualifying Races – Running Aces
- Claimed Horse Procedures – Canterbury Park
- Claimed Horse Procedures – Running Aces
- Workout Rule – Canterbury Park
- Chain Shank Use in Paddock – Canterbury Park